Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chocolate Cream Pie

This is one of my favorite pies to make, and my wonderful hubby claims it as his favorite dessert.  :)  It's relatively simple as well.  This particular recipe is from Epicurious with a few modifications from moi.  See my changes below.  Would love to know how you like it!  Link to the recipe.






If you checked out the recipe, you will see that it calls for chocolate wafers for the crust.  I subbed one package of graham crackers for the wafers.  I am a huge fan of a good graham cracker crust.  Sugar and butter amounts remained the same.  I also used 2 cups 1% milk and a cup of heavy whipping cream to sub for the whole milk.


A note on straining the pudding through a sieve: I am not the owner of a fine mesh sieve...so I skipped this step.  Sacre bleu!  Yes, I did, and I did not find it to affect the flavor or to leave too many lumps in the chocolate creme when all was said and done.  So, just saying, if this same issue comes up for you, don't despair...just improvise!  If you disagree, I would love to hear your feedback!



You can use cellophane instead of wax paper. 


For the whipped cream:  I used 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1 tsp. of Trader Joe's vanilla bourbon flavoring.  Delish!



The final flourish: after you cut a piece o' pie, sprinkle a bit of sea salt on the top!  

Bon Appetit!  

1 comment:

  1. OMG. To sieve or not to sieve, that is the questionne! J must think he is the luckiest guy on earth. Too right!

    ReplyDelete